Name of Senior Residents :
- Dr. Sunny Singh
- Dr. Sukhen Das
Name of PGTs
- Dr. Nayan Brahme
- Dr. Uttiya Bramhachari
- Dr. Rhik Sanyal
- Dr. Tamonash Mondal
- Dr. Mrinal Baidya
- Dr. Saikat Saha
- Dr. Supriya Bal
- Dr. Rajashri Banerjee
- Dr. Biswarup Goswami
- Dr. Suday Mukhopadhyay
- Dr. Satyaki Bardhan
- Dr. Sunita Bagdi
- Dr. Shasya S Khaling
- Dr. Shib Shankar Lala
- Dr. Pradip Santra
- Dr. Apala Bhattacharjee
- Dr. Abhijit Das
- Dr. Prateek Bhoumik
- Dr. Rupam Chowdhury
- Dr. N. K. Basu
- Dr. Dipankar Pal
- Dr. Subhash chandra Tiwary
- Dr. Kousik Mondal
Name of foreign observers during 2012
- Tamara Helmar (Germany)
- Li Zhi Yolanda Hu (Belgium)
- Laura Van den Dungen (Belgium)
- Brighid Angela Gordon (Germany)
- Anna Bbedinilla Gostera (Spain )
- Kristine Aune Kilaas (Norway)Alberto calvi (Italy)
I. Routine service to the patient
- Tropical Medicine OPD (every Monday, Thursday, Saturday) & Viral Diseases OPD (every Tuesday& Friday), Fever clinic (every Wednesday) of Calcutta School of Tropical Medicine.
- Admitting patients to Carmichael Hospital for Tropical Diseases. Also attending patients referred from various Government health facilities / private physicians to Calcutta School of Tropical Medicine.
- Visiting referred cases at Calcutta Medical College Hospital.
- Running ART Centre daily at Calcutta School of Tropical Medicine.
- Providing second line and alternative first line anti retro viral drugs through COE.
II. Routine Indoor & OPD Cases
||OPD Old ticket
||OPD New ticket
III. Routine Diagnostic Services
|Upper GI endoscopy
IV. Research Activities :
- A collaborative research project on Leishmania promastigote membrane antigen bound ELISA and immunoblotting for diagnosis of Indian PKDL is going on with Indian Institute of Chemical Biology, Kolkata.
- A study on “Visceral leishmaniasis: Identification and validation of biomarkers for antimony susceptibility/ resistance in clinical isolates of Leishmania donovani” is going on in collaboration with Pharmacology Department, IPGME&R as part of a DBT project.
- Immunologic response of Kala-azar, cost-effectiveness of short course Ampho-B in VL, utility of K39 strip test in VL, PKDL, HIV/VL co-infection.
- ICMR supported research project entitled “ Studies on Antiviral Therapy that limits the Emergence of HBV Resistance in HIV/HBV co-infection” in collaboration with ICMR Virus Unit, Kolkata
- Department of Biotechnology, Government of India supported research project entitled “ Studies on hepatitis B and HIV co-infection in Eastern India” in collaboration with ICMR Virus Unit, Kolkata
- A Prospective, open Label, non comparative, sequential, phase ii, multi centre study to assess safety of single dose regime at 2 dose levels of fungisomeTM in treatment of visceral leishmaniasis.
- “Identification and molecular characterization of Chikungunya virus infecting West Bengal patient population” In collaboration with Department of Biotechnology, Govt. of West Bengal.
- “Evaluation of a blood-based antigen detection assay by quantitating unique sialoglycoprotein specifically induced on erythrocytes for early diagnosis and monitoring patients with Indian Visceral Leishmaniasis in two referral centers.”ICMR.
- ‘Evaluation of molecular markers for monitoring of Post Kala-azar Dermal Leishmaniasis (PKDL) in West Bengal’ Indian Council of Medical Research, Govt. of India.
- NRHM funded “ A pilot study on early diagnosis of dengue infection by NS1 antigen detection and correlation of clinical and laboratory parameters with disease outcome”.
V. Teaching Activities
- Teaching of Post graduate students of M.D. (Tropical Medicine), D.T.M & H. students of West Bengal University of Health Sciences. Theory Class -41, Clinics – 120.
- Training of Community Medicine post graduate students from Medical College & All India Institute of Hygiene & Public Health.
- Conducting Post Graduate Diploma in HIV Medicine (PGDHIVM) course of Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU).
- NACO ART Training for Medical Officers and Specialists.
- Training of nurses & counselors.
- Training of Overseas medical students and doctors.
VI. Seminars & journal club
|Approach to a patient with Headache
||C M L and Myelofibrosis
||Approach to a patient of chronic cough
|Management of chronic Hepatitis C infection
||Diabetes in Tropics
||Updates on Rheumatoid Arthritis
|Neglected Tropical Diseases
||Initiation of A R T with TDF based regimen
|Non resolving pneumonia
||Management of single unprovoked seizure
||Neurological manifestation of HIV/AIDS
||Chronic fatigue syndrome
VII. Publications :
- S Kumar, Ghosh M K, Sarkar S, Mallik S, Biswas P N, Saha B. Tuberculoid leprosy and cytomegalovirus retinitis as immune restoration disease in a patient with AIDS. International Journal of Infectious Diseases 16 (2012) e146–e148.
- Samanta S, Dutta D, Ghoshal A, Mukhopadhyay S, Saha B, Sundar S, Jarmalavicius S, Forgber M, Mandal C, Walden P, Mandal C. Glycosylation of Erythrocyte Spectrin and Its Modification in Visceral Leishmaniasis. PLoS One 6 (12) : e28169 (2011) PMID 22164239
- Samanta S, Ghoshal A, Bhattacharya K, Saha B, Walden P, Mandal C. Sialoglycosylation of RBC in Visceral Leishmaniasis Leads to Enhanced Oxidative Stress, Calpain-Induced Fragmentation of Spectrin and Hemolysis. PLoS ONE 7(7): e42361. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0042361.
- Rozra S , Kundu D, Saha B, Rudra A, Chakrabarty S, Bharati P. Periodontal status of HIV infected patients with special reference to CD4 cell count in West Bengal, India Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Disease. 2012; 2(6): 470-474
- Taraphdar P, Dasgupta A, Saha B. Sexual practices of people living with HIV/AIDS attending School of Tropical Medicine, Kolkata. Indian J Public Health. 2012;56:231-4.
- Saha P, Guha S.K, Das S, S Mullick S, Ganguly S, Biswas A, BeraD K, Chattopadhya G, Das M,. Kundu P.K, Ray K, and Maji A.K.. Comparative Efficacies of Artemisinin Combination Therapies in Plasmodium falciparum Malaria and Polymorphism of pfATPase6, pfcrt, pfdhfr, and pfdhps Genes in Tea Gardens of Jalpaiguri District, India. Antimicrob. Agents Chemother. 2012; 56(5):2511. DOI: 10.1128/AAC.05388-11.
- Patra P, Guha S.K, Maji A.K, Saha P, Ganguly S, Chakraborty A, Kundu P.K, Sarker S, Ray K,. Efficacy of oral miltefosine in visceral leishmaniais in rural West Bengal, India. Indian Journal of Pharmacology, 2012; 44(4): 500-503.
- Bhowmik A, Ghugre P, Udipi S.A, Guha S.K. ‘Nutritional status and quality of life of women with HIV/AID. American Journal of Infectious Diseases. 2012; 8 (1): 13-18.
- Bhowmik A, Bhandari S,De R, Guha S.K, Predictors of mortality among HIV-infected patients initiating anti retroviral therapy at a tertiary care hospital in Eastern India. Asian Pac J Trop Med. 2012; 5(12):986-90.
- Saha. P., Naskar. A., Ganguly S., Das S., Guha. S K., Biswas A., Bera .D K., Kundu. PK., Das M., Mullick S., Ray. K., Maji A K. Therapeutic efficacy of Artemisinin Combination Therapies and prevalence of S769N mutation in PfATPase6 gene of P. falciparum in Kolkata, India.Asian Pac J Trop Med. 2012 (In Press).
- Ganguly S., Saha P., Guha SK., Das S., Bera DK., Biswas A., Kundu PK., Saha B., Ray K., Maji AK. In vivo therapeutic efficacy of chloroquine alone or in combination with primaquine in vivax malaria in Kolkata, West Bengal, India and polymorphism in pvmdr1 and pvcrt-0 genes. Antimicrob. Agents Chemother. 2012 (In Press).
- Pal A, Panigrahi R, Biswas A, Datta S, Sarkar N, Guha S.K, i Saha B, Banerjee A, Chakrabarti S, Chakravarty R. Influence of HIV-associated degree of immune suppression on molecular heterogeneity of hepatitis B virus among HIV co-infected patients. Virology. 2012 (In Press).
- Goswami R.P, R Goswami R.P, Das S, Ray Y, Rahman M, Testing urine samples of patients with rK39 strip as simplest non-invasive field diagnosis for visceral leishmaniasis: an early report from eastern India. Journal of Post Graduate Medicine 2012.
- Goswami R P, R Goswami R P, Das S, Ray Y, Pal D, Rahman M. A Rare Case of Multiple Intramuscular and Hepatic Echinococcosis Journal of Association of Physicians of India 2012 (In press)
- Goswami R.P, Goswami R.P, j Ray Y and Rahman M. Absolute CD4 counts in monoinfected chronic Hepatitis B patients in the advanced immune-active stage. European Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology 2012.
- Goswami R.P HIV/VL Co-infection: Relapsing Visceral Leishmaniasis as an Emerging AIDS Defining Illness Kala Azar – Emerging Perspectives and Prospects in South Asia 2012.
- Nandy M, Chakraborty A, Mallik S. Hydatid disease presenting as multiple cystic swelling in the right supraclavicular region Asian Pac J Trop Dis 2012; 2(6) : 490-491.
VIII. Faculty Activities :
Prof. B. Saha
- An outbreak of wound infection following laparoscopic surgery among hospitals in a city of eastern India. Saha B, Mallik S, Ghosh M, Naskar A, Kumar S, Pal D,. Bhattacharya N, De Bakshi S . POSTER NUMBER: 47.033. 15th International Congress on Infectious Diseases. Bangkok, Thailand • June 13 to 16, 2012.
- Prevalence of chikungunya and dengue in a recent outbreak of seasonal febrile illness: an observational study in a tertiary referral hospital at Kolkata, India. Saha B, Bandyopadhyay B, Tripathi A, Mallik S, Ghosh M, Ray K. POSTER NUMBER: 40.086. 15th International Congress on Infectious Diseases. Bangkok, Thailand • June 13 to 16, 2012.
- “Practical experience with Dengue and Chikungunya in India, including diagnostic, management and preventive measures “-Institute for Social and Preventive Medicine at the University of Zurich on 22nd August , Swiss Specialists in Tropical and Travel Medicine, on 23rd August , Internal Medicine Department , Kanton Hospital, Baden on 24th August.
- “Parasites that still challenge”- 67th Annual Conference of Association of Physicians of India, at Science City, Kolkata
- Chairperson: “Contemporary issues in Infectious Diseases”-API, West Bengal Branch, 1.5.2012
- “A Tragedy of Weeping Holes”-19th Annual conference of API, West Bengal Branch.
- “Management of OIs among PLHIV”-Workshop on Management of Opportunistic Infections among People Living with HIV & AIDS - Bhubaneswar, 7.12.12
- NACO training for ART Medical Officers, Specialists, counselors.
- Faculty in the Post Graduate diploma in HIV Medicine.
- “Management of Complicated Malaria” for WBHS Medical Officers.
- “Management of Dengue”- Medical Officers of Kolkata Municipal Corporation.
- “Management of HIV/AIDS and STIs” for DVC Medical Officers.
- “Management of Dengue’-IMA, Howrah Branch, CMRI, Vision Care Hospital, Mukundapur.
- ‘Management of Rabies’-Swasthya Bhawan.
- ‘Aetiopathogenesis of Rabies’-APRICON, Science City.
- ‘Management of Japanese Encephalitis’- North Bengal Medical College, Jalpaiguri District.
- ‘Management of adults with HIV ‘- IMA West Bengal Branch.
- Visiting overseas medical students and doctors.
Prof. S. K. Guha
Important meetings, seminar, CME, symposiums, trainings attended in the year, 2012.
- Attended the 67th Annual Conference of Association of Physicians of India in Kolkata (APICON 2012) as Speaker and delivered a Lecture “Drug resistance in HIV” on 13th January, 2012
- Attended the Chennai ART (CART) Symposium in Chennai on 21.01.2012 & 22.01.2012
- Attended the meeting of the Drug Forecasting Committee in NACO, New Delhi on 24.01.2012
- Delivered a lecture on ‘Treatment of severe malaria : Choosing the right antimalarial’ in the CME of Society of Tropical Medicine & Infectious Diseases in India (STMIDI) on 10.03.2012
- Faculty in the National Distance Learning Clinical Seminar Series Program (NDLS) of I-TECH, India on 25th April, 2012 on the topic of ‘Issues in HIV Drug resistance’
- Attended NACO ART Training of Trainers as faculty at J J Hospital, Mumbai on 08.05.2012 & 09.05.2012
- External Examiner of Fellowship Exit Examination (Infectious Diseases) of DNB at Christian Medical College, Vellore on 04.06.2012 & 05.06.2012
- Attended Basics of Clinical Mentoring - Pilot Workshop of I-TECH/NACO in Kolkata from 13.06.2012 – 15.06.2012
- Delivered a lecture on ‘Management of complicated malaria - guidelines’ in the Peripheral CME at Siliguri, West Bengal on 30th June, 2012
- Attended an Indo-US workshop on “Triple Trouble: Malnutrition, HIV and TB” from 2nd - 4th August, 2012 at the National Institute for Research in Tuberculosis (NIRT), Chennai and delivered a lecture on ‘Identifying research priorities in Nutrition& HIV’.
- Faculty in the National Distance Learning Clinical Seminar Series Program (NDLS) of I-TECH, India on 12th September, 2012 on the topic of ‘Management of toxicities of ART’.
- On 14th October, 2012 delivered a lecture on ‘Malignant face of vivax malaria’ in 19th Annual Conference of API, West Bengal in Kolkata.
- Delivered a lecture on ‘Monitoring antiretroviral therapy-issues and concerns’ in the Annual Conference of API, Maharashtra (MAPICON) on 2nd November, 2012 at Miraj, Sangli, Maharashtra.
- Attended the 5th Annual Conference of AIDS Society of India from 23rd- 25th November, 2012 in Bangalore and delivered a lecture on ‘Management of HIV- Hepatitis B co-infected individuals’ on 24.11.2012.
- Attended the Technical Resource Group (ART) meeting of National AIDS Control Organization as a Member on 27th November, 2012.
- Attended the Review meeting of the COEs on 20th December, 2012 at NACO, New Delhi.
- Participated as Faculty in all the NACO ART training programmes at Centre of Excellence in HIV, School of Tropical Medicine.
- Participated as a Resource Person in all the “Integrated Training of the MOs on Leprosy, Vector Borne Diseases and Diarrhoeal Diseases” organized by the Department of Health & family Welfare, Government of West Bengal at Institute of Health & Family Welfare, Kolkata.
Dr. R. P. Goswami
Faculty Activities :
1) Associate Editor of Bulletin of the Calcutta School of Tropical Medicine.
2) In-Charge of Endoscopy Unit of Carmichael Hospital for Tropical Diseases, STM.
3) Resourse person in Kala-Azar control program, Govt. of West Bengal.
Trainer for :
1) NACO Training Programmes for Medical Officers/Specialists ART Centres, Medical Colleges.
2) Faculty in the Post Graduate diploma in HIV Medicine.
Dr. B Saha, Dr S K Guha, Dr. N Pramanik, Dr. R P Goswami, Dr. S. Mallik, Dr. M. Rahman
Guided /co-guided dissertation works by post graduates for M.D courses of West Bengal University of Health Sciences.
Dr. M. K. Ghosh
Attended in Workshop on RABIES at Malda organized by Dept. of Health & FW, Govt of West Bengal on 9th May 2012.
Delivered a lecture on Human aging at IMA Jalpaiguri branch on Doctors’ day 1st July, 2012
Delivered a lecture on fundamental in Rabies at Science city, 6th July, 2012
Attended in Workshop on Awareness of SNAKE BITE and its primary management for school & college students at Jalpaiguri in August, 2012.
Participated as Co-investigator from CSTM in the meeting at Hyderabad for Pneumo MAP A project on adult pneumococcal disease surveillance in collaboration with CMC, Vellore on 24th & 25th Nov. 2012.
Dr. S N. Haldar
Participated “Capacity building workshop on operational Research on basic sciences of HIV” at LRM TB Hospital, Delhi from 24th-28th September, 2012.
Dr. B Saha, Dr. S K Guha, Dr. N Pramanik, Dr. R P Goswami, Dr. S Mallik,
Dr. M Rahman, Dr. D. Modak, Dr. D. Gonjhu, Dr. M. K.Ghosh, Dr. Ranajoy Sankar Bhattacharya, Dr. Yogiraj Ray, Dr. M. Mondal, Dr. A. Naskar.
Trainer for various Government programs for training on various issues on HIV/AIDS for Doctors / counselors / nurses.