The department conducts a specialized course of teaching ‘M.Sc. in Medical Biotechnology’ affiliated under West Bengal University of Health Sciences [WBUHS] with a capacity of ten students per year. The duration of the course is two years. The syllabus for the 1st year includes Biochemistry, Cell biology, Molecular Biology and Microbial Genetics and for the 2nd year includes Immunology and Immunogenetics, Bioinformatics and Gene Based Diagnosis and Therapy. Faculties of this department are also engaged in conducting classes in Genetics and Immunology of MD Tropical Medicine and classes in Biochemistry of the Diploma in Laboratory Technology (DLT) course & Diploma in Clinical Pathology (DCP).
- Research in the field of Stem Cells
- Cancer Immunology
- Limbal stem cell research in collaboration with Regional Institute of Ophthalmology
- Research in the field of bacterial pathogenesis :
- Identification of bacterial virulence factors and detailed investigation on host-pathogen relationship involving gemomic and proteomic studies.
- Exploring the mechanism of resistance development in these emerging pathogens.
- Understanding the molecular basis of arboviral diseases.
- Deciphering the molecular aspects of disease virulence caused by different pathogenic bacteria.
- Molecular characterization of different breast cancer types in collaboration with Chittaranjan National Cancer Institute.
- Microbial Transformations & Antibiotic studies in collaboration with the Dept. of Clinical & Experimental Pharmacology, S. T. M.
- Molecular characterization of MDR plasmid isolated from patient samples.
- Genomic & Proteomic profiling of Dengue virus and its vector.
The department is involved in conducting short term project works of M.Sc./ B.Tech. Post M.Sc students from different universities in India.
Annual performance report of Dr. Mandira Mukherjee
Research grants :
- Department of Science and Technology, Govt. of West Bengal, (DST-WB), 2011, PI: Dr. Mandira Mukherjee.
- Rameshwardasji Birla Smarak Kosh Research grant, 2011, PI: Dr. Mandira Mukherjee.
- DBT’s Twinning Programme for the NE, 2012, PI: Dr. Mandira Mukherjee, Co-I: Dr. Anjan Kumar Basu.
Ph.D Guidance :
Two Junior Research fellows (DST-JRF, DBT-JRF)
- Member of the Board of Studies for Postgraduate studies in Medical Biotechnology at Calcutta School of Tropical Medicine, Kolkata under West Bengal University of Health Sciences (WBUHS).
- Member of the Board of Studies for Diploma in Clinical Pathology (DCP) course at Calcutta School of Tropical Medicine, Kolkata under West Bengal University of Health Sciences (WBUHS).
- Member of the Library committee, STM, Kolkata.
- Paper setter and Examiner for M.Sc. Medical Biotechnology, WBUHS.
- Paper setter of DLT and DCP course at STM, Kolkata.
- Paper setter for M.Sc. Biotechnology, Burdwan University.
- Examiner in Ph.D registration examination, WBUHS.
- Dr. Mandira Mukherjee attended the” 3rd National CME on “Tropical and Infectious Diseases”, organized by Society of Tropical Medicine and Infectious Diseases in India at Kolakta on 10th March, 2012.
Annual work report of Dr. Sujata Law
A. Journal Publications :
- Phenotypic alteration of Limbal Niche associated Limbal Epithelial Stem Cell Deficiency by UV-B exposure induced phototoxicity in mice.Prosun Das, Jacintha Archana Pereira, Malay Chakladar, Ketaki Bagchi, Gautam Bhaduri, Samaresh Chaudhuri, Sujata Law*. Biochemistry & Cell Biology. 2012.
- Altered Canonical Hedgehog-Gli Signaling Axis in Pesticide Induced Bone Marrow Aplasia Mouse Model. M. Chaklader, P. Das, J.A. Pereira, S. Chaudhuri , S. Law. Archives of Industrial Hygiene and Toxicology, 3, 63, 2012.
- Benzene Exposure, An Experimental Machinery for Induction of Myelodysplastic Syndrome: Stem Cell and Stem Cell Niche Analysis in the Bone Marrow. Madhurima Das, Samaresh Chaudhuri and Sujata Law. J. Stem Cell, 7 (1),43-59, 2012.
- 17-aag mediated targeting of hsp90 limits tert activity in peritoneal sarcoma related malignant ascites by downregulating cyclind1 during cell cycle entry. M. Chaklader, P. Das, J.A. Pereira, A. Law, S. Chattopadhyay, R. Chatterjee, A. Mondal, S. Law*. Exp. Oncol., 34 (2), 1-7, 2012 .
- Biological response modifiers influence structure function relationship of hematopoietic stem and stromal cells in a mouse model of leukemia. Basu K, Mukherjee J, Law S, Chaudhuri S. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev. 13(6):2935-41. PMID: 22938486 [PubMed - in process], 2012.
Invited Talk :
Invited speaker in “Scanning Electron Microscope : Medical Applications “, held during 29 Feb-02 Mar 2012, “Scanning electron microscopic pictorial demonstration concerning various tissues of the body in health and disease”.The University of Burdwan, India.
- Invited speaker : Ecotoxicant’s effect on Haematopoietic Stem Cell and Niche component. Sujata Law. World Congress on Biotechnology-2012, Hyderabad 4-6 May,2012.
- Invited Speaker: Flow cytometry of Limbal Epithelial Cells: An approach to determine cellular alteration in UV induced Corneal Photo-toxicity 5th ANNUAL MEETING OF THE CYTOMETRY SOCIETY (INDIA) 12th- 13th Oct., 2012, Centre for Research in Nanoscience & Nanotechnology, Univ. of Calcutta, Kolkata.
- Invited Speaker: Fluorescence Microscopy: A Revolution in the field of Bioimaging. . Sujata Law, Malay Chaklader, Prosun Das, Sukalpa Chattopadhyay, Ritam Chatterjee, Ankita Pan. Workshop on Fluorescence Microscopy. USIC, University of Burdwan. 22nd -23rd Nov.2012.
- Invited Speaker : Regenerative approaches of Neurodegenerative diseases: Role of Stem Cells. Sujata Law. 24th Annual Conference Of Physiological Society Of India. Visakhapatnam, India, 12th-14th Dec.2012.
Publication in the Proceedings of Conferences attended :
- Cytotherapy and regenerative medicine: Recent advances. Sukalpa Chattopadhyay, Malay Chaklader, Prosun Das JA Pereira,, Ritam Chatterjee, Abhradeep Mondal, Sujata Law. Central Cal. Soc. Adv. Hu. Dev. Re. July 21, 2012, Kolkata, India.
- Low dose intraperitoneal Vincristine administration reduce the number of TERT+ sarcoma initiating cells in Mouse Model of Peritoneal Sarcomatosis. Malay Chaklader, Prosun Das, Jacintha Archana Pereira and Sujata Law. CME-Pharmacological Society of India, Jan 14, 2012,Kolkata, India.
Workshop Attended :
International Workshop on Applications of Flowcytometry and Imaging in Cell Biology and Nanobiotechnology, Centre for Research in Nanoscience & Nanotechnology, Univ. of Calcutta, Kolkata, 11rd May-18th August, 2012.
Research Projects held :
- Principal-Investigator : “Characterization of Limbal Stem Cell Niche, its regulatory mechanism and justification for NICHE-surrogate Therapy.” ICMR, Govt. of India,2009-2012.
- Principal Investigator : “Involvement of Hedgehog & Wnt signaling pathway in bone marrow failure with special reference to Leukemia and Aplastic Anemia: An approach to associate bone marrow niche dysregulation”. CSIR, Govt of India, 2011-2014.
Paper Setter/Examiner :
M.Sc. Medical Biotechnology , West Bengal University of Health Sciences
M.Sc. Zoology, University of Calcutta
DLT & DCP.
Ph. D. Guidance : (Under Dr. Sujata Law)
West Bengal University of Health Sciences (Two)
University of Calcutta (Two)
WORK DONE BY DR. ANUSRI TRIPATHI (2012) :
Tripathi A, Dutta SK, et al. High Prevalence and Significant Association of ESBL and QNR Genes in Pathogenic Klebsiella pneumoniae Isolates of Patients from Kolkata, India. Indian Journal of Microbiology 2012; 52(4):557–564.
Workshops attended :
- Dr. A. Tripathi participated in workshop on “Molecular Modelling and Drug Designing”, held at National Institute of Cholera and Enteric Diseases, Kolkata on 12th and 13th April, 2012.
- Dr. A. Tripathi participated in National CME and workshop on “Arboviral Infections of Public Health Concern: Indian Scenario”, held at Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh on 3rd to 5th September, 2012.
Research Grant received :
- Dr. A. Tripathi received fellowship grant entitled: “Molecular understanding of metallo-beta-lactamase (MBL) mediated carbapenem drug resistance development among gram negative bacteria and identification of inhibitory compounds against them”, from Indian Council for Medical Research.
- Dr. A. Tripathi received research grant entitled: “Molecular Characterization of Chikungunya virus infecting West Bengal patient population”, from Department of Biotechnology, Govt. of West Bengal.
PhD Guidance (Dr. A. Tripathi) :
Applied for registration to Jadavpur University (Two).
Courses Teacher, Paper Setter / Examiner:
M.Sc. (Medical Biotechnology), Ph.D. course work, D.C.P. and D.L.T.
Work done by Sri. Bishwanath Chakraborty
a. Original article
i. Isolation and Characterization of Pseudomonas sp. STM 997 from Soil Sample having Potentiality to Degrade 3,6-Dimethyl-1-keto-1,2,3,4-tetrahydrocarbazole: A Novel Approach. Appl Biochem Biotechnol. Vol 168, 2012 Pp 1765-1777. Biswanath Chakraborty, Suchandra Chakraborty, Anjan Kumar Basu, Bhrigu Aditya, T. P. Sinha, Tanima Modak Dhar & Chandan Saha.
Research Grant : Applied
Theoretical as well as practical classes of M.Sc (Biochemistry & Medical Biotechnology), DCP and DLT.
Also engaged in the Dept. of Laboratory Medicine as a Biochemist.
Taking active participation in Microbial Transformation & Antibiotic studies in the Dept. of Clinical & Experimental Pharmacology, STM, Kolkata.
WORK DONE BY DR. ANJAN KUMAR BASU (2012) :
a. Original article
i. Therapeutic Profile of T11TS vs. T11TS+MiADMSA: A Hunt for a More Effective Therapeutic Regimen for Arsenic Exposure. Asian Pacific Journal of Cancer Prevention, Vol 13, 2012. Pp 2943-2948. Suhnrita Chaudhuri&, Sagar Acharya&, Sirshendu Chatterjee, Pankaj Kumar1, Manoj Kumar Singh, Debanjan Bhattacharya, Anjan Kumar Basu, Shyamal Dasgupta, SJS Flora , Swapna Chaudhuri.
ii. Isolation and Characterization of Pseudomonas sp. STM 997 from Soil Sample having Potentiality to Degrade 3,6-Dimethyl-1-keto-1,2,3,4-tetrahydrocarbazole: A Novel Approach Appl Biochem Biotechnol. Vol 168, 2012 Pp 1765-1777. Biswanath Chakraborty, Suchandra Chakraborty, Anjan Kumar Basu, Bhrigu Aditya, T. P. Sinha, Tanima Modak Dhar & Chandan Saha.
iii. Identification of Methicillin resistant Staphylococcus spp. by 16S -23S rDNA polymorphism in Kolkata region. Bull Cal School Trop Med, Volume 3, July 2011, Pg 4-9 Ananya Tarafdar &, Anjan Kumar Basu,
iv. IDENTIFICATION OF MULTIPLE DRUG RESISTANT Staphylococcal species BY PCR- AMPLIFICATION OF GLYCERALDEHYDE 3-PHOSPHATE DEHYDROGENASE ENCODING (gap) GENE. Bull Cal School Trop Med, In Press. Satadeep Biswas, Shami Chakrbarti , Dwijendranath Gangopadgyay and Anjan Kumar Basu.
b. Abstract :
1. Modulation of peripheral immune microenvironment: Ameliorated T-cell signaling in Glioma Bearing rats on immunotherapy with T11TS. Journal of cell and Tissue Research, Vol 11, November, 11, pp 76. Manoj Sing, Debanjan Bhatacharya, Sagar Acharya, Sirshendu Chaterjee, Anjan Kumar Basu, Tusher kanti Ghosh, Swapna Choudhuri.
2. Altered regulation of matrix metalloproteinases in Glioma- miocroenvironment as modulated by T11TS. Journal of cell and Tissue Research, Vol 11, November, 11, pp 76. Manoj Sing, Debanjan Bhatacharya, Suhnrita Choudhuri, Sagar Acharya, Anjan Kumar Basu, Swapna Choudhuri.
3. T11Ts immunotherapy Downregulate endothelial cell VEGF Expression in Glioma Miocroenvironment and augments apoptosis of brain endothelial cells. Journal of cell and Tissue Research, Vol 11, November, 11, pp 76. Manoj Sing, Debanjan Bhatacharya, Suhnrita Choudhuri, Sagar Acharya, Anjan Kumar Basu, Tamal Kanti Ghosh, Swapna Choudhuri.
4. T11TS impedes glioma angiogenesis by inhibiting VEGF signaling and downregulating prosurvival I3K/Akt/eNOS proteins in glioma associated endothelial cells. 100TH Indian Science Congress, 2013 AT KOLKATA. Debanjan Bhattacharya, Manoj Kumar Singh, Suhnrita Chaudhuri, Anjan Kumar Basu and Swapna Chaudhuri.
Research Grant :
DBT’s Twinning Programme for the NE, 2012, PI: Dr. Mandira Mukherjee, Co-I: Dr. Anjan Kumar Basu.
Ph.D Guidance :
Co-guide of two researchers; Registered to W.B. U.H.S (one), Applied for registration to W.B. U.H.S (one)
Theoretical as well as practical classes of M.Sc (Medical Biotechnology), Ph.D course work, DCP and DLT.
Performance report of Dr. Srabani Talukdar (Das) (2012))
Theoretical as well as practical classes of M.Sc (Medical Biotechnology), DLT and DCP course.
Preliminary studies on Genomic & Proteomic profiling of Dengue virus and its vector.